Saturday, October 20, 2012

A Mississippi Woman

 

politichicks.tv

A Mississippi Woman

I am a racist, bigoted, homophobic, Bible-thumping, ignorant, backwater, illiterate, stupid woman. Oh, did I mention judgmental and hypocritical?

There. I thought I’d get the name-calling and pre-judging over with and save everyone some time.

If you need proof, just look at where I live…Mississippi. Yes, that Mississippi. The one liberals love to characterize as a state so full of redneck stupidity and racial oppression that we should secede from the Union…and there are times I wish we could, but not for their reasons.

Check any of the comment threads on a news story about our state, and you will understand how I have come to these conclusions of the animosity felt toward our state. However, I am not going to espouse all the wonderful qualities that Mississippi has, of which it has many, but I will tell you this; this state is on the same slippery slope as the rest of the nation.

So, let’s talk about me (which according to some is my favorite subject…)

Am I bigoted? Most definitely!!! I am a bigot toward those who believe that forcing their opinions down my throat is justifiable, but that I must be “politically correct” when stating mine. I am bigoted toward those that would take away my personal rights “for my own good”. I am bigoted toward those that spend my money without accountability. You bet I’m a bigot!

Am I homophobic? Well, that’s debatable. Having a phobia denotes having an irrational fear of something…like spiders. I am not scared of homosexuality, but I am sick to death of the LGBT community equating their movement for rights to the Civil Rights movement. I am not going to debate the issue of gay marriage or civil unions, which I am against, but kiss-ins, vulgar language and name-calling (especially of Christians) is definitely not cool. One of the talks I had with my children when they started dating was about PDA-Public Displays of Affection. Yuck! Whether heterosexual or homosexual…no one wants to see a couple making out. Another lesson I tried to teach my children was that only bullies and small-minded people resort to name-calling. Good manners, people! You can debate an issue without spewing venom.

Am I subject to prejudice? In some ways, probably. Am I proud of it? No. But as a child of the ‘60’s, I was influenced by societal prejudices and norms. Have my attitudes evolved? Yes they have, as have my states. I truly believe that all men are created equal. Enough said.

Am I a Bible-thumper? YES. I believe that the Bible is the inerrant word of God. Period.

Am I ignorant and stupid? That’s also debatable. I do not pretend to be completely knowledgable in every subject. To say that in the past few years I had grown cynical about the political process would be an understatement. The changes that have occurred in our country have so horrified me, though, that I feel that I must educate myself and be willing to speak out…even if it is “politically incorrect”. (Pulling one’s head out of the sand is not an easy task, by the way!)

Am I a strong, conservative woman? YES!!

…and growing stronger by the day.

Lydia Goodman

Avatar of Lydia Goodman

State Director of Politichicks Mississippi, Lydia Goodman is a former teacher and stay-at-home mom. She is currently in the process of starting a small business ("without Obama's help," she adds.)

Read all posts by Lydia Goodman

__._,_.___

No comments:

Post a Comment