Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Email exchange between Edward Snowden and former GOP Senator Gordon Humphrey

 

Email exchange between Edward Snowden and former GOP Senator Gordon Humphrey

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jul/16/gordon-humphrey-email-edward-snowden

 

 

"I believe you have done the right thing in exposing what I regard as

massive violation of the United States Constitution"

        Glenn Greenwald       

        guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 16 July 2013 14.12 EDT           

 

Former two-term GOP Senator Gordon Humphrey of New Hampshire emailed Edward

Snowden yesterday [emphasis added]:

 

    Mr. Snowden,

 

    Provided you have not leaked information that would put in harms way any

intelligence agent, I believe you have done the right thing in exposing what

I regard as massive violation of the United States Constitution.

 

    Having served in the United States Senate for twelve years as a member

of the Foreign Relations Committee, the Armed Services Committee and the

Judiciary Committee, I think I have a good grounding to reach my conclusion.

 

    I wish you well in your efforts to secure asylum and encourage you to

persevere.

 

    Kindly acknowledge this message, so that I will know it reached you.

 

    Regards,

    Gordon J. Humphrey

    Former United States Senator

    New Hampshire

 

After I contacted Sen. Humphrey to confirm its authenticity, he wrote to me

[emphasis added]:

 

    Mr. Greenwald,

 

    Yes. It was I who sent the email message to Edward Snowden, thanking him

for exposing astonishing violations of the US Constitution and encouraging

him to persevere in the search for asylum.

 

    To my knowledge, Mr. Snowden has disclosed only the existence of a

program and not details that would place any person in harm's way. I regard

him as a courageous whistle-blower.

 

    I object to the monumentally disproportionate campaign being waged by

the U.S. Government against Edward Snowden, while no effort is being made to

identify, remove from office and bring to justice those officials who have

abused power, seriously and repeatedly violating the Constitution of the

United States and the rights of millions of unsuspecting citizens.

 

    Americans concerned about the growing arrogance of our government and

its increasingly menacing nature should be working to help Mr. Snowden find

asylum. Former Members of Congress, especially, should step forward and

speak out.

 

    Regards,

    Gordon Humphrey

 

Snowden's reply to Sen. Humphrey:

 

 

    Mr. Humphrey,

 

    Thank you for your words of support. I only wish more of our lawmakers

shared your principles - the actions I've taken would not have been

necessary.

 

    The media has distorted my actions and intentions to distract from the

substance of Constitutional violations and instead focus on personalities.

It seems they believe every modern narrative requires a bad guy. Perhaps it

does. Perhaps, in such times, loving one's country means being hated by its

government.

 

    If history proves that be so, I will not shy from that hatred. I will

not hesitate to wear those charges of villainy for the rest of my life as a

civic duty, allowing those governing few who dared not do so themselves to

use me as an excuse to right these wrongs.

 

    My intention, which I outlined when this began, is to inform the public

as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them.

I remain committed to that. Though reporters and officials may never believe

it, I have not provided any information that would harm our people - agent

or not - and I have no intention to do so.

 

    Further, no intelligence service - not even our own - has the capacity

to compromise the secrets I continue to protect. While it has not been

reported in the media, one of my specializations was to teach our people at

DIA how to keep such information from being compromised even in the highest

threat counter-intelligence environments (i.e. China).

 

    You may rest easy knowing I cannot be coerced into revealing that

information, even under torture.

 

    With my thanks for your service to the nation we both love,

 

    Edward Snowden

 

 

==========================================

(F)AIR USE NOTICE: All original content and/or articles and graphics in this

message are copyrighted, unless specifically noted otherwise. All rights to

these copyrighted items are reserved. Articles and graphics have been placed

within for educational and discussion purposes only, in compliance with

"Fair Use" criteria established in Section 107 of the Copyright Act of 1976.

The principle of "Fair Use" was established as law by Section 107 of The

Copyright Act of 1976. "Fair Use" legally eliminates the need to obtain

permission or pay royalties for the use of previously copyrighted materials

if the purposes of display include "criticism, comment, news reporting,

teaching, scholarship, and research." Section 107 establishes four criteria

for determining whether the use of a work in any particular case qualifies

as a "fair use". A work used does not necessarily have to satisfy all four

criteria to qualify as an instance of "fair use". Rather, "fair use" is

determined by the overall extent to which the cited work does or does not

substantially satisfy the criteria in their totality. If you wish to use

copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use,' you

must obtain permission from the copyright owner. For more information go to:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

 

THIS DOCUMENT MAY CONTAIN COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. COPYING AND DISSEMINATION IS

PROHIBITED WITHOUT PERMISSION OF THE COPYRIGHT OWNERS.

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment